[PLUG] skipping spamd for unknown users - solved - reject vs. drop invalid user

Dylan Reinhardt lists at dylanreinhardt.com
Thu Aug 26 16:10:03 UTC 2004

On 26 Aug 2004 09:46:54 -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

 > Get rid of your MX, and life will be much better.
 > If your machine is down for an hour or two, the
 > sender will redeliver later.  And a spammer will
 > just move along.

Are spammers really going to suffer because you're reducing your
reliability?  Somehow, I doubt it.

I consider this behavior a gift.  If you're using decent bayesian
filtering, it won't take long before you develop a strong (but flexible)
distaste for messages relayed through your secondary. Problem solved.

I'm *delighted* spammers are willing to do the difficult work of helping
me identify bogus messages.  You really want to change that?

Instead of getting rid of your secondary MX, it might make more sense to
think about getting rid of spam assassin.  I've had vastly better (more
accurate, less costly) results with CRM114.

YMMV, of course.

Dylan