[PLUG] DSL Providers (Was: skipping spamd for unknown users - solved - reject vs. drop invalid user)

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Fri Aug 27 10:12:02 UTC 2004

Wil Cooley wrote:

>Speaking of DSL, I'm going to be buying my first house and availability
>of DSL is a requirement for me.  Does anyone know of a map of local COs?
>I'm really only looking in town, so Qwest is all I need.  Qwest used to
>have a database, but I don't know if I could find it anymore.  Hm, maybe
>I need to spend some time at dslreports...

dslreports.com (broadbandreports.com) was one of my main resources when
finding the house I just bought.

After finding out the address, you can find out if there's a listed
phone number at http://www.reversephonedirectory.com/

With that information, you can test the existing line and find the CO on
dslreports.com. After doing a few of these tests, you can make an
educated guess on the ones that are empty or have no listed phone
number. I also had pretty good luck asking for the existing owners phone
number to test for DSL.

Nothing is a guarantee. In my case, I'm ~5000 feet from the CO. I was
thinking this was fantastic. I called DSL-Only and told them to move my
service. They took the order and started working on it.

When they ordered the circuit from Verizon, they were told that my voice
line was on a digital circuit, and so, I couldn't get DSL on it.

My choices were to go cable, futz with having another line installed and
hope it's not multiplexed, or try speakeasy. I don't believe I can hook
up via wireless where I am (SW 139th and SW Farmington in Beaverton).

I had DishNetwork installed instead of cable, so I'm trying not to jump
back on the Comcast bandwagon...

I didn't want to go through the expense of having a phone line installed
for the possibility of running into the same brick wall.

So, I'm waiting for speakeasy/covad to get me a line. They've ordered
the dry line from Verizon and we'll see how they work out.

Russ