[PLUG] skipping spamd for unknown users - solved - reject vs. drop invalid user

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Aug 27 19:22:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 04:14 -0700, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, AthlonRob wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, you're the exception, not the rule.  :-(
> >
> > Um, yeah... I guess I'm another exception, too.
> > Wait, perhaps you're the exception and the rule is that modern DSL is
> > stable and reliable.
>
> Sure it's stable and reliable... but not to the point where you won't
> have any outages in three years.  At the two locations we have DSL[0],
> they both have had multiple outages over the last two years lasting
> several hours at times.

I'm coming up on four years with no unexpected outages and no outages
over 1 hour caused by anyone but me.

The story appears to be the same for those living anywhere nearby.

> Your definition of 'society' is too strict for me.  I think the St. Paul
> community would disagree with your assertion the community is
> uncivilized.  FWIW, the people of this town keep moving back, not moving
> away.  There are *many* families who have been here since the town was
> founded, after moving over from Little Muddy Creek with the church in
> tow.... back around 1860 or so.

The concern isn't whether or not the town is comfortable or happy, but
whether the resources used in the town require incremental energy costs to
get from major distribution centers to the town and the energy costs in
getting people to and from resources not routinely brought to town.

> After seeing how both Portland and St. Paul work, I dare say St. Paul is
> a far better example of civilization (or, at least, what it should be)
> than Portland... hell, we don't even have to lock our doors at night.

Unless St. Paul is the great unreported self-contained community, it's a
much more wasteful and destructive form of civilization than a more
metropolitan area.

And I haven't locked the doors to my home in three years... and that was
only because we were heading out of town and my girlfriend did it when I
wasn't looking.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin