[PLUG] Upgrading from Woody to Sarge

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sat Aug 28 01:21:02 UTC 2004

I'd like to note you don't need the "--initrd" option during compilation
if you're not using an initrd.

>From: "Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff.l at comcast.net>
> j freyley wrote:
> > So you'll have to check that the following things...
> > ...are compiled into the kernel and not modules.
> >
> > ide support, if you're using an ide hard drive
> > your filesystem support (ext2, ext3, reiser, whatever)
> > your partition style support (dos partitions usually)
>
> Did those, and a few other things. I still get a kernel panic message
> when I try to boot the new OS. Fortunately, the old one is still there,
> althoug this time, it is known as Old Linux (or words to that effect). I
> now have three options: Linux, Old Linux, and Linux (with 2.6.7
> somewhere in the name -- sorry, I didn't think to write these down from
> the lilo menu.)

What is the panic message? (some kernel messages might not be obvious to
you at first glance, but generally they do give pretty good pointers to
the problem)

Make sure the kernel is attempting to mount the right filesystem as the
root filesystem. Most likely you either left out, or built as a module
some driver needed to mount your root filesystem. Did you build ELF
support into the kernel? I'd tend to second J Freyley's pointer, you left
out part of the IDE support. Try running `lspci`, this should give you a
pointer to what your IDE chip is.