[PLUG] QUick Reccomendation

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 20:08:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:01:06 GMT, techmage at aracnet.com
<techmage at aracnet.com> wrote:
> a) easy to install
> b) simple to work from both command and GUI
> c) available as ISO
> d) Useable as both server ware and desktop ware
> e)Full featured
> f) Free

This, and particulary your goals below, scream "Debian", at least in my opinion.

Debian is probably one of the least likely main-stream distros for
going comercial, ala Red Hat.  It's extremely easy to install Debian
with _no_ non-free software at all--this is the default. (adding
non-free is not hard either, and the install prompts you regarding
this).

I would not install debian from ISO though (although you can do this).
 The cd images are quite out of date, and packages are updated
frequently.  The biggest downside to debian is that its packaging
system really /wants/ broadband.  It will work on dialup, or
disconnected.  It's just not as slick, and your system will probably
be a little bit behind the times.

If you choose to go with debian, you will probably want to install the
"Sarge" release, which is one step closer to the bleeding edge than
the "stable" (woody) release.  (Stable, in debian terms, is
rock-solid, in my experience sarge is on par with redhat / mandrake
stable releases.)

-Rogan