[PLUG] QUick Reccomendation

Bryan Murdock bmurdock at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 20:46:59 UTC 2004

You may have not meant to start a distro war, but you have :-)  Here
are my personally biased recommendations:

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:08:03 -0800, Rogan Creswick <creswick at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:01:06 GMT, techmage at aracnet.com
> <techmage at aracnet.com> wrote:
> > a) easy to install

Mandrake, Fedora, Suse, well, it's probably easier to list the few
remaining distros that aren't easy to install (and that is still
relative to your experience level, I recently had a pretty easy time
installing Slackware, but it wouldn't have been easy a few years ago).

> > b) simple to work from both command and GUI

Mandrake

> > c) available as ISO

Mandrake

> > d) Useable as both server ware and desktop ware

Hey, Mandrake again.

> > e)Full featured

Mandrake, though I have to admit here that Fedora Core 3 is ahead of
Mandrake 10.1 at the moment with LVM and SELinux.

> > f) Free

Mandrake, Fedora Core, certain versions of Suse, and a bunch of
others, unless you are Richard Stallman, then no distro is entirely
Free.

> It's extremely easy to install Debian
> with _no_ non-free software at all--this is the default. (adding
> non-free is not hard either, and the install prompts you regarding
> this).

Debian and "easy to install" have not traditionally gone hand-in-hand.
 Has something changed in this area recently?  I've heard about a new
Debian installer, but last time I checked it was still pretty rough
around the edges.

Bryan