[PLUG] QUick Reccomendation

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Dec 1 22:34:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:01:06 GMT, Harry wrote:
> Okay, this is not intended to start a distro war.
> I use Suse 9 and Redhat 7.3 and Suse 7.
> I want to try Fedora core and Redhat's last*Free* distro.

> a) easy to install
> b) simple to work from both command and GUI
> c) available as ISO
> d) Useable as both server ware and desktop ware
> e)Full featured
> f) Free

Since you're already familiar with the Red Hat offerings, I'd suggest
you stick with them.  I recently tried a bunch of different distros
and rejected all of them for various reasons which, if detailed, would
start the distro-war you want to avoid.  From the tone of your
message, I suspect that you want to wash your hands of Red Hat for
nontechnical reasons.

If you can stick with Red Hat or its GPLed derivatives, I recommend
White Box Linux or CentOS-- both Red Hat Enterprise Linux clones.
They fit all your requirements a through f.

  -- Steve