Hard drive testing - forked from [PLUG] QUick Reccomendation

Richard C. Steffens rsteff.l at comcast.net
Wed Dec 1 23:18:04 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 1:19 pm, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I'm not yet sold on using reiserfs as
> the default filesystem, but I can't say it's given me any troubles.

After not having much success with the Debian Sarge installer, I was given a
SuSE 9.1 CD. It installed over Debian Woody just fine, but kept those old
partitions (I backed up what little data I had and just assumed the SuSE
installer would give me the option to wipe the drive and start fresh). I'm
slowly working my way to making this my main machine, but before I do, I need
to find out what's making it hang every few days.

The reason this is relevant to Paul's comment is that I've been glad that SuSE
9.1 installs reiserfs as a default because I haven't had to sit through
(whatever the Linux equivalent is for scandisk). But, now I'm wondering if a
bad spot on the drive is the problem, or if there is something about reiserfs
that I don't know about, and should.

So, my question to Paul is, what are your hesitations about reiserfs?

And my question to the list in general is, what program(s) do folks use for
thorough testing of a hard drive? I'm willing to back up the small amount of
data on this machine, and don't mind reinstalling the OS, so a test that
wants to write over everything is OK. Besides, reinstalling would let me
reclaim those old partitions from my Debian experiments.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/