Hard drive testing - forked from [PLUG] QUick Reccomendation

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Dec 1 23:57:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> The reason this is relevant to Paul's comment is that I've been glad
> that SuSE 9.1 installs reiserfs as a default because I haven't had
> to sit through (whatever the Linux equivalent is for scandisk). But,
> now I'm wondering if a bad spot on the drive is the problem, or if
> there is something about reiserfs that I don't know about, and
> should.

ext3, jfs, and xfs all solve the same problem; reiser isn't the only
journaling filesystem available. :-)

> So, my question to Paul is, what are your hesitations about
> reiserfs?

Early in both the 2.4 and 2.6 kernel-developement cycles, the kernel
developers reported several problems with reiserfs. I'd guess that
they've been cleaned up, but I don't follow filesystem development
well enough to know. As recently as 2.4.18, some folks have
experienced subtle problems with reiserfs on SMP systems.

That, and Zach Brown told me once that he thought Hans Reiser's code
was little more than a mess. (Yes, that's an ad hominem argument, but
I tend to trust Zach's judgment on system-level issues.)

But, like I said, reiserfs hasn't caused me any grief on the SuSE box,
so I can't say I'm down on it; I just tend to use ext3 or xfs when
given the choice.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>