[PLUG] Debian Sarge SMP slowness?

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Dec 2 03:11:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Eric Harrison wrote:
> One of the school districts I often work with (who happen to be near
> Redmond Washington ;-) is having SMP performance problems with the Sarge
> 2.6.8-i686-smp kernel.
[snip]
> Have any of you Debian gurus here seen this, and more importantly
> know a fix? ;-)

I'm not sure if one's really expected to run those Debian kernels in
server production.  I mean, they're stable, but they're really
conservatively configured.

I (and I think every other serious Debian user) use make-kpkg on a tarball
from kernel.org.  This launches the normal kernel configurator (config,
menuconfig, whatever you choose) and then makes the kernel into a standard
Debian package that can be installed on any machine with 'dpkg -i'.

Nope, doesn't answer your question.  The best advice is to compare the
configs, of course, but two have suggested that already.  I think  you'll
find the Debian config to be, as I wrote, extremely conservative.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net