[PLUG] Running a shell script?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Dec 2 14:44:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, GLL wrote:

> OK I just d/l'ed "jre-1_5_0-linux-i586-rpm.bin" I am trying to
> install it so I can get Azureus running. So, how do I 'run' this?

chmod +x jre-*.bin
./jre-*.bin
# agree to license
rpm -Uvh jre-*.rpm

> Since rpms can (with luck) be installed with a double-click, why are
> these packages created as [yourfilename].rpm.bin? Is there any
> reason why the developers have to sabotage it so it can't install
> with a double-click?

The rpm philosophy is based on the idea of 100% hands-off
installations -- which doesn't work with software that comes with a
click-through license. Hence the .bin file: it's essentially a license
wrapper around the rpm.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>