[PLUG] SSH2: Restoring Passphrase Request

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Sat Dec 4 17:48:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  I use ssh2 rather than telnet to connect among machines. When
> connecting from my notebook to my server/workstation I am no longer
> asked first for my passphrase, but only for my password on the
> remote machine.

It may be that, on either machine, your ~/.ssh directory and its files
are group- or world-readable, which will cause ssh or sshd to ignore
their contents.

If that's not the case, then, on the server, fire up sshd in
test/debug mode on an alternate port:

   [root at server]# sshd -d -p 222

Then contact it from your notebook, also in debug mode:

   [rshepard at notebook]$ ssh -v -p 222 server

The problem ought to show up in one of the terminal sessions. If you
can't spot it in your scrollback buffer, you might try launching the
sessions using script(1) and then reviewing the resulting typescript
files.

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>