[PLUG] QUick Reccomendation

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Sat Dec 4 19:01:03 UTC 2004

techmage at aracnet.com wrote:

> What I want to know is if there are security issues to avoid with any
> of the present distros or the older distros I'm interested in( Suse
> 8.1, Fedora Core, Redhat 9.1, etc)

I just want to give some added feedback on this. I just installed Fedora
for the first time (Fedora Core 3) and I was really impressed by the
ease of installation. It autodetected all of my hardware correctly, the
only thing I needed to do to configure X was pick a resolution.

I chose to use their default Gnome setup, and there was an icon right
there in the top bar warning me that there were updates I needed to
make. I ran up2date and it had to grab about 20-25 packages, but it went
very smoothly, including upgrading the kernel RPM.

I think it was the smoothest Linux install I've ever done.

With the updates available that easily and the inclusion of SELinux, it
seems good from a security standpoint as well, although I haven't poked
at it much yet.

As a side note, I'm pretty amazed at how easy the installs have gotten
in general. I'm sure that a lot of people take that for granted, it's
what they expect out of an operating system, but when I think back to
the old days of downloading floppy images, screwing around with X
configs, and all of that, it's really something to see the progress that
has been made.