[PLUG] Re: UPS battery check/replacement in Portland area?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Dec 6 14:08:32 UTC 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Wil Cooley wrote:

> You might be taking the manufacturer's ratings too seriously; a 600 or 650
> VA unit should be able to handle three or four systems without problems. I
> wouldn't necessarily expect to an hour of runtime out of it, but it should
> be adequate to survive a brown-out or shutdown in case of a black-out.  My
> experience has been that the manufacturer's specs are for bigger budgets
> than I generally work with.

Wil,

   Thanks. I suspected that they were under-specified. I noticed on the APC
Web site that one can buy a replacement battery of greater capacity, but
they don't indicate by how much.

   I think there's a battery place on Belmont around 37th or so. Do you know
if they carry replacement batteries? I found a Web-based vendor that sells a
replacement for $31 (plus shipping) but I'd rather buy locally if possible.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)