[PLUG] Rescue CDs (was USB Linux?)

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Wed Dec 8 20:58:54 UTC 2004

AthlonRob wrote:
  > I've spent a good portion of the 24 hours researching these things...
>
> It turns out I made an incorrect assumption.  I assumed most of these
> LiveCDs would be full of useful utilities to work on a system that
> wouldn't otherwise boot.  Strangely enough, they're almost *all*
> targetting traditional Desktop users as a full Desktop Distro On The Go.
>
> Most of them don't even have simple things like nmap or clamav or
> chkrootkit.

I really like this CD, it's designed specifically for system rescue:

http://www.sysresccd.org/index.en.php

The ISO is 110MB and it has a ton of tools, I believe it has all the
ones you mentioned. I found it from the ntfsresize page, it has QTParted
on it.

I have no idea if it would be possible to make it work on a USB device
somehow instead of a CD :) But if you need a good rescue CD, I really
recommend it.