[PLUG] Fedora disintegrates?

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 20:55:22 UTC 2004

I have XP, Fedora, and FreeBSD installed on the
computer I usually use. Recently I decided to change
the display adapter, and then I booted each OS to
check the consequences.

Windows default to 640 x 480 without a new driver. I
installed the new driver and increased the resolution
to 1280 x 1024.

FreeBSD initially boots into a console, unless you
mess with it. I ran Xorg -configure, and then it
booted into 1400 x 1050, actually slightly
overclocked.

And then Fedora. Kudzu appeared, as expected, but then
it uninstalled the mouse! And the sound card! And the
TV card! There wasn't anything left! (Nothing? The HD
was still going, obviously.) Assuming that I want to
save this installation, what is the procedure to
follow? (I have a backup, but since the problem is due
to a hardware change, this approach presumably won't work.)

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/