[PLUG] changing mouse on xvesa driver

Aaron amcintosh at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 8 22:25:23 UTC 2004

Aaron wrote:

> I've got this old 486 laptop that im running the svga xserver on but I
> only get 8bpp color on it.  So I tried the xvesa driver and I can get
> 16bpp color on it but I can't use the mouse. (It moves erratically)
> Can anyone point me to the file that I would need to edit to fix it?
>
> Thanks!

Let me try this with a little more information.  I'm running xfree
server 3.3.6 on a deli linux distro running kernel 2.2.26. (This is just
a play/internet surfing laptop)  I can get the vesa server running with
an external ps/2 mouse, with no trouble with the mouse.  The built in
mouse is one of those funky side mount trackball style mice.  Under the
svga server the ps/2 protocol with /dev/psaux mouse style works great.
I thought that the vesa server used the same mouse but it doesn't work
for me on the xvesa server.  As I said before it jumps all around.  I
know that its rare that anyone is running a mouse like this but if
anyone has any insight as to where I should begin my hunt it would be great.

Thanks.

Aaron