Resolved: [PLUG] System hangs

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Thu Dec 9 06:00:18 UTC 2004

Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> The only thing I'm not sure of is if I need to do anything with the old swap
> partition. It's sitting between the boot partition and my original main
> partition. It's not all that big, and I now have another 3.something Gb of
> additional ordinary space, so I suppose there's no problem with just leaving
> it there. It is no longer referenced in /etc/fstab, so I'm assuming it will
> just look like an unused spot in the partition table that happens to be
> formatted as linux-swap.

Hi Richard,

That sounds like an adventure :) I'm glad it seems the problem is fixed.

You can leave the old swap partition there, it's not a problem, but you
might as well put it in fstab. The system can use multiple swap
partitions and swap files. I believe it will try to access the first
entry in fstab first, that one gets the higher priority, so you could
enter the old one second and the system would only use it if needed.

If you have access to a copy of Partition Magic you could delete it and
expand one of the other paritions to use that space.