Resolved: [PLUG] System hangs

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Thu Dec 9 07:14:14 UTC 2004

Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> Is there something special about the number?
> In other words, if I make the priority of the old swap partition 43, is that
> good enough?

I think I had this all screwed up :) Take a look at the man pages:

man swapon
man 2 swapon

Especially the second one. It says higher numbers mean higher priority.
If the priority is the same they will both be used round-robin.

I don't think the order in the fstab matters.

> I think I could do that with parted, too, but I feel a little uneasy moving
> the beginning of the next partition.

I don't think you can even move the beginning with parted if the
filesystem is ext2 or ext3, that is one of it's limitations. You can
only move the end point when you resize, if I'm reading the docs correctly.

> The other question I had was just what to do with the new partition? It
> occurred to me that what I should do is to pick something, like /usr, copy
> all of it to the new partition, rename things so the new partition is /usr,
> and then delete the old /usr directory. The next question is which part of
> the tree makes the most sense to give 3.something Gb of space? Maybe it
> should be /home, since I'm expecting to have a bunch of photo images, and
> they'd be stored in my home directory. Any recommendations along this line
> would also be appreciated.

Well, it always makes sense to give /home it's own partition. That way
if you decided to install a new Linux from scratch, you could skip
formatting that partition, mount it back at /home, and all your data
would still be there.

On multiuser boxes /var can end up being an area that grows a lot, with
things like mail spools and logs, but it sounds like /home might be
better for you. You can always steal some of that space later if you
need it elsewhere.