[PLUG] Netgear MP101 Media Server File Access

Brian & Lori Nordlund bl.nordlund at verizon.net
Sat Dec 11 20:17:45 UTC 2004

I am trying to run Netgear's Media Server Software, which streams MP3's to
the MP101 media player (like a stereo component).  I have my MP3 files on a
dedicated server running Mandrake and Samba.  I have had the directories and
files shared for a couple years, using various windows applications to play
the files across the network.

Netgear's server application is supposed to scan the directories you point
it at and build a library database of all the MP3's found, then stream the
files to the player across the network.  The problem is the scanning
process.  The software claims that file access has been denied so it imports
nothing into the database.

Are there additional selections under Linux other than giving the user,
group, and others read and write rights?  Do the rights set under Linux not
necessarily translate into the Samba server?  Under the Samba settings, I
show my public directory is shared and browseable.  Also, public and guest
access is enabled and writeable.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian.