[PLUG] Projector prices

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Thu Dec 16 23:02:14 UTC 2004

> > Appears 1000 lumens is now the standard, and the brighter projectors are
> > fairly common at this point. Other nice bit is that DLPs have a *much*
> > better response time than LCDs.

>    For the non-hardware enabled, like me, please explain "DLP".

Google should provide the answer, Texas Instruments's "Digital Light
Processor". The first commercial MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical System)
device on the market. It is a piece of silicon with an array of tiny
mirrors on it. The major trick is building something which moves the
mirrors around on a piece of silicon. There have been plenty of
laboratory experiments moving things around merely with static charges,
but few of those ever reached commercial production. The only other
commercial MEMS device I've seen mention of is sensors on some airbags.

DLPs are quite expensive (I heard nearly $1K for a single 1280x1024
panel), but move very fast (at a previous PLUG meeting I asked Keith
Packard whether it was possible to make one operate at 600Hz, and his
answer was yes). The one downfall is they are strictly small reflective
devices. You cannot make a direct-view DLP, nor can you make one that you
shine light through.