[PLUG] how to tell when the filesystem is borken?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Dec 17 14:13:55 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Carla" == Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> writes:

Carla> So how can you tell when it's the filesystem corrupting your
Carla> data, and not something else?

Not to cast aspersions on any particular filesystem (I am agnostic),
does it matter what is actually "at fault"?  Surely, a filesystem
ought to try to be robust against failure it can't control.  In other
words, doesn't a filesystem share liability for allowing catastrophic
failure to result from foreseeable substrate failures?  It is kind of
lame to just point out that something else wasn't perfect.

(Speaking completely in generalities)

seniorr at aracnet.com