[PLUG] smbfs slowness

Terry Griffin griffint at pobox.com
Sun Dec 19 03:40:19 UTC 2004

On Saturday 18 December 2004 4:58 pm, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> OK, so, I just used smbmount to connect to a WinXP machine that someone
> put in my basement (long story).
>
> Anyway, it's excruciatingly slow.  I mean, bytes per second.
>
> What gives?  I don't know enough about smb to even know where to check.
>
> J.

This almost certainly won't help but it's a easy thing to check. Try
mounting with a CIFS file system instead of an SMBFS file system. CIFS
is Microsoft's replacement for the SMB protocol. You can use
'mount -t cifs' or 'mount.cifs'. See mount.cifs(8) for details.

The other thing you can do is try some other protocols for transferring
data and see how they do. For example from the Windows box you could
connect back to the Linux box with FTP or HTTP and transfer some large
files. That will tell you if it's a general networking problem or
something specific to the Windows file share.

How are your ping statistics?

Terry