[PLUG] Wally-world and the sub-$500 laptop..

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Dec 21 03:28:06 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>    Er, ... how much RAM does that box have? We ran Knoppix
Rich> (which uses KDE) on the ThinkPad last Saturday at the
Rich> clinic. With 128M RAM it crawled.

That is partly due to the running-in-RAM nature with no backing store
available for use.

I don't run KDE, but I once ran X on a 486 with 16 meg of RAM (okay,
it was slow) and some swap.  My laptop has only 192meg and (except for
trying to run a bunch of UML for a demo once) I haven't noticed a RAM
shortage.

seniorr at aracnet.com