[PLUG] Re: sftp and scp - preserving UID/GID (2)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Dec 21 05:27:14 UTC 2004

Elliott Mitchell writes:
> Likely you want the -p option to scp or -P for sftp get/put.

Indeed, -p preserves permissions, but it does NOT preserve numeric
UID/GID .  The reason I am asking is for a by-hand "move files one
by one" situation, where the rsync command line is too much typing.

However, if I cannot do it with sftp or scp (and some magic and using
some poorly documented option), I will probably build a Perl script
for moving individual files, built around rsync, with ssh transport.
I can hide the complexity and the typing in the script.  That is,
after all, why we love Linux.

Keith

---