[PLUG] Wally-world and the sub-$500 laptop..

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:38:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:15:30 -0600, Tony Schlemmer <aschlemm at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Monday 20 December 2004 16:35, Chris Penwell wrote:
> > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1744052,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K000059
> >4
> >
> > Are there any better deals for someone who doesn't currently own a laptop?

Yes! Look at the IBM certified used equipment page (I'm sorry I can't
provide a link, but it's easy to find).  You can usually find ~1ghz
thinkpads in the 500-600 range. (with more memory, tested batteries..
IBM's name on the line, etc..)

Regarding the linspire box:

I second (or third, fourth?...) the memory concerns, but I'd also be
concerned about battery life.. they claim "over 1.5 hours.." In my
experience, anything less than 3-5 hours means you've got to carry a
power adapter everywhere you go, and be prepared to use it.  Keep in
mind that thrashing/swapping will be a significant hit to battery life
also--which brings us back to memory...

I'd also be concerned about weight, (8.0lbs shipping weight) you may
want to carry around an extra 8-lb book for a few days just to see
what it's like.   Depending on your useage patterns, this may not
matter, but it is a concern for many people.

-Rogan