[PLUG] Wally-world and the sub-$500 laptop..

Bryan Murdock bmurdock at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 00:34:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:50:47 -0800, Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com> wrote:
> Rogan Creswick wrote:
> >
> > Yes! Look at the IBM certified used equipment page (I'm sorry I can't
> > provide a link, but it's easy to find).  You can usually find ~1ghz
> > thinkpads in the 500-600 range. (with more memory, tested batteries..
> > IBM's name on the line, etc..)
>
> http://www.ibm.com/shop/used/
>  or
> http://stores.ebay.com/IBM-Authorized-Auctions
> to name two sources.
>
> I bought a T21 for under $500 and it's been great.

Here's a true story about my thinkpad t20.  Anyone that has one (or a
t21, probably the same) just press on the lid a bit, you know, from
behind the screen, and watch the waves on your LCD.  There is pretty
much no protection there.  After taking mine to school and back for a
few months, I took it out of my bag one day and the LCD was shattered.
 I wasn't using a "laptop" bag, but after paying about $500 to get a
new LCD (actually used from ebay) installed I went and bought the most
expensive laptop bag with the most padding and protection I could
find.  I'm a little annoyed about that whole experience and wouldn't
wish it on anyone else.  I've also never found another laptop that has
a lid that  weak.

Bryan