[PLUG] Proper way to copy directories

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Dec 22 23:06:13 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Fedor" == Fedor Pikus <fpikus at gmail.com> writes:

Russell> c) with the tar-to-tar, it is important *not* to include the
Russell> verbose option on the first tar.  You are depending on
Russell> standard input/output to move your data.  It is not likely to
Russell> be pretty if you include the verbose information in that
Russell> stream.

Fedor> Nah, verbose option does not hurt anything. You can specify it
Fedor> on one or both tar's, but if you do both the output is kind of
Fedor> messy, you get every line twice.

Hmm (some digging around in the tar source), ah yeah.  In the function
open_archive() of buffer.c, stdlis (the verbose destination) gets
redirected to stderr if the archive is being written to stdout.

That behavior makes sense.  I was being overly cautious.  Okay,
scratch (c), and thanks for the correction.

seniorr at aracnet.com