[PLUG] Debian installation

Paul Mullen pem at nellump.net
Wed Dec 22 23:58:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 12:17:55PM -0800, Bryan Murdock wrote:

> Does it preserve tweaks to stuff in /etc/whatever well?  I have a
> Mandrake 10 machine at home that is set-up just perfectly, and I've
> been afraid to upgrade it because I know I'll have to redo all the
> little tweaks that I've made.  It'd be really cool to never have to
> fear that again.  Probably worth a distro switch.

Strict policy is one of the things I like about Debian. I find it
tremenously irritating when an package installer doesn't respect the
changes I've made to by own system. When a Debian package update
contains a new version of a config file, and the installer notices
you've made changes to the current config, it'll give you the option
of installing the new version or keeping your old one. In either case,
the version you don't use will be saved with an appropriately obvious
file name extension so that you can go in and merge the differences by
hand.

Paul