[PLUG] Software News from Europe & Detroit

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 23 20:14:11 UTC 2004

On Thursday 23 December 2004 3:15 am, techmage at aracnet.com wrote:

> I think the best reason is that the most recent distros have conquered
> my dread of setting up PPP for dial up. In my last three installs, it
> has worked flawlessly from the start. I'm still working on the " How
> to do dialup without logging in as root" thing. But, for now, I'm
> accepting that one little flaw.

In Debian, the easiest way to do it in the long term from what I've
found requires an external modem with a power switch.  Use pppconfig to
set up your connection and tell it to persist and to automatically
reconnect if it disconnects.  mv /etc/ppp/no_ppp_on_boot
to /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot.  PPP is now set up to try to reconnect at all
costs.  Use the switch on the modem to turn on or off the connection.
It may take a few seconds to dialup again when you turn on the modem.

Simple, elegant and it works.  What more could you ask for?

--
Paul Johnson
baloo at ursine.dyndns.org
http://ursine.dyndns.org/~baloo/