[PLUG] Printer Suggestions

Bryan Murdock bmurdock at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 17:57:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 17:46:21 -0800, AthlonRob <AthlonRob at axpr.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 17:38 -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> > I'm comtemplating a new color printer.  Of couse I want it to do
> > everything, cost little, and possible read my mind (so it knows what I
> > want not what I configured :-)
>
> While I haven't purchased one myself yet... I'd strongly suggest looking
> at some of the cheap color laser printers out there.  I would imagine
> the cheapest laser is probably still far more reliable (and less
> expensive to maintain) than the most expensive ink-jet printers.

I don't think you'll get photo-quality prints with a cheap color laser
printer.  At least, not as good as you can get with even a cheap
inkjet these days.

You can get full functionality from HP inkjets under Linux (probably
others too, I just happen to work in Vancouver for a large technical
company that has me a little biased towards a certain brand).  You are
correct that a parallel port printer going to be hard to find these
days.

Bryan