Resolved, sort of: [PLUG] Network is unreachable

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Dec 27 03:24:31 UTC 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> Naturally, when something like this comes up, I'm usually short on time.
> Now that I have some spare time, I've looked up how the DHCP client works
> and see that it should have been able to get what it needed by
> broadcasting DHCPDISCOVER, which I am assuming it normally does. I'm also
> assuming that my router, which runs a DHCP server should have responded to
> that request, so I'm not sure why I needed to manually configure the
> default gateway. Maybe I didn't. Maybe something was temporarily
> misconfigured, and my fiddling with YaST reconfigured things.

Dick,

   For a small network (and I assume you have no more than 4-5 hosts on it),
static IP addresses actually give you more control. That's what I've been
running here for a number of years. And, when I'm traveling and need an IP
address on the hotel ethernet or someone's WiFi network I run 'dhcpcd' (as
root) and get a working IP address for as long as I'm there. When I return
to the office, /etc/resolv.conf has not changed and the notebook works just
fine on the local network.

Something to consider,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)