[PLUG] Software News from Europe & Detroit

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Dec 27 03:29:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 techmage at aracnet.com wrote:

> I am greatly in the debt to you, Richard, to the Plug list in General and
> to Mike Neal and Ed Sawicki (teachers extraordinaire) for getting me this
> far. May I never tire of telling people how really great all of you are.
> Nor will I soon forget a particular teacher,who constantly said two, no
> three things to me:

Harry,

   No thanks are required. It's all part of the FOSS society. We give where
we can and take when we need. It's the underlying fundamental why linux and
the other OSS work as they do.

> Well, you never really get to know an OS until you've had to install it a
> dozen or so times.

   Feh! Nonsense! Install it once and use it for years works just as well (if
not better) and lets you be productive more than frustrated.

   Now, if you want to really torture yourself, install Slackware or one of
the other distributions that use BSD-style init scripts rather than
SysV-style init scripts. It took me a month or so to be comfortable and I'm
still learning what's hidden in the corners way in the back. Now the former
make more sense (and are more comfortable) and the latter seem less direct.

So much to learn, so little time,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)