[PLUG] group permissions and sticky bits

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Mon Dec 27 09:18:03 UTC 2004

Happy holidays all.

With some time off I've been trying to add either a group permission
or a sticky bit to a folder that would allow me to give one user
control over an entire directory that other users would be creating
file/dir inside.  I want to delegate work and if I could allow a
sub-admin level on a directory this would help.  Here is a list of
what would happen.

/project1  owned by admin1 he has full control in group 1
/project1/joeuser owned by joeuser he has full control in group 1
/project1/janeuser owned by janeuser she has full control in group 1

now I want to give admin1 full control over all subdirectories as well
as he would help all the users in his directories with any problems.
Basically he needs to be able to modify any of their files.  chmod,
delete, write, mv, etc.

However, I do not want joeuser and janeuser to be able to see or
modify the files of each other.  Best knowledge I'm guessing is if I
put both joeuser and janeuser's direcories in a group that is owned by
the admin with rwx then he would be able to do this and not allow the
joeuser and janeuser in that group.  I can't seem how to assign
additional groups to a particular directory that will always apply.  I
did find that Linux doesn't allow you to be in more then one group at
a time.  Meaning you had to run newgrp each time you wanted to do
anything in that other group.  Is this true?

Is there a way to achieve this on Linux?  I have achieve this in
Windows by places the user full control over a diretory and givening
full recursive permissions on a directory.  How do I do this in Linux.
 Would like to run the file structure on linun and give out
permissions there.

Thanks and I hope you all have a great new year.

Josh