[PLUG] Debian installation

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 21:22:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:06:42 -0800 (PST), Robert Kopp
<iconoklastic at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What I'm likely to do is just to download the
> installation CD's while I'm working on other things.

As has been stated before on this list, the debian install CDs will
give you a _very_ antiquated system by today's standards.  You aren't
likely to be happy with what you get unless you do a dist-upgrade
(which is almost always painless, but it entails downloading the
latest version... which means _everything_ when you start with a CD
install).

A better alternative would be to download the .deb's from a mirror
such as debian.orst.edu and point the installer at that local source
of packages.
If you aren't on broadband, it would be worthwhile to find a fast
connection to use for the installation--you're welcome to come use
mine, but it'd probably be quite a trip (I live in Corvallis).

-Rogan