[PLUG] Debian installation

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 05:33:15 UTC 2004

There are many Debian people on this list, so I
thought I'd update my experiences. I'm using Debian
"Sarge" at the moment.

I was able to complete the installation by giving
exact sweep frequencies for my monitor. Unfortunately,
KDE comes up at 800 x 600, 85 Hz. The monitor is
capable of doing 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz, and I would like
to get at least 1024 x 768. I can't change it in KDE.
How else can I do it?

I use CUPS for printing, with an Ethernet printer.
Apparently Debian does not have its own CUPS package,
which does not surprise me. When I compile it from
source code for a non-PS printer, something is
apparently missing:

"CUPS 1.1.15 and higher no longer include the
PostScript RIP filter, pstoraster, necessary for
printing PostScript, PDF, text, or HP-GL/2 files to
non-PostScript printers. You must also install a
version of Ghostscript with the 'cups' raster driver
(gdevcups.c) to print to non-PostScript printers."

How can I get this done with Debian?

Other than that, Debian installation is
straightforward, and its reputation for being
difficult to use is unjustified.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/