[PLUG] Novice question - mounting USB Drive

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 31 14:36:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Jim Karlock wrote:

> I am just starting with Linux and want to use my portable usb "pen drive".
>
> Where do i find out how to mount it? (I figured out how to mount a CD)

Jim,

   Google: "+usb thumb + linux" ->

         <http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86323>
among many others.

   Also, I think in was in a 2003 issue of Linux Journal where a step-by-step
HOWTO was published. Check the archives at <http://www.linuxjournal.com/>.

   They are seen as ttyUSBx; mine is ttyUSB1 on my notebook. Make sure you
have the usb modules loaded first. There's a core module and two others.
Your unit will use one of those two or the other. I don't remember how to
identiy which one it wants.

   Try looking up your unit's brand on google, too.

HTH,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)