[PLUG] Novice question - mounting USB Drive

Terry Griffin griffint at pobox.com
Fri Dec 31 23:59:56 UTC 2004

On Friday 31 December 2004 11:41 am, AthlonRob wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 10:54 -0800, Jack Morgan wrote:
> > So will FC3 remove the /etc/fstab entry once the USB device is
> > removed?
>
> That doesn't make sense...
>
> It would be set to not auto mount, so you manually mount and unmount
> it. To add and remove the entry from fstab for every insert and
> removal wouldn't make sense and would completely defeat the purpose
> of the entry in the first place...

FC3 doesn't auto-mount USB flash drives. It only auto-creates the
mount point and the /etc/fstab entry, and then auto-destroys these
when the device is removed. It's kind of funky but it seems to work.

There may also be a way to enable auto-mounting but I've not found
it, not that I've looked very hard.

Terry