[PLUG] Is this a scam?

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Tue Feb 3 11:03:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:45:53AM -0800, Scott Van Hoosen wrote:

> Any of you security experts have any thoughts on this? If it is a scam,
> it looks like a lot of effort was put into it.

A lot less effort than paying speed freaks to piece together shredded documents
to get SSNs from people.

Since the NY Times wants $2.95 for an electronic repint of the article I
suggest you visit  http://www.multcolib.org/  click sequence

  Electronic Resources
  Databases A-Z
  New York Times (library card number required)

and Search for
	dumpster diving identity

The story covers a guy who worked out of Eugene and paid speed freaks to
piece together shredded tax returns to glean identity information.  They found
the process interesting...

--
      Michael Rasmussen  aka  mikeraz
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity