Linewrapping (was Re: [PLUG] Best distro for MythTV?)

Paul Mullen pem at nellump.net
Tue Feb 3 14:24:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 01:58:25PM -0800, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> See, ^J is just about the handiest thing in the world and when I asked a
> few weeks ago about mail processing with vi (since I'm hoping to use
> mutt+vi for mail soon), I was specifically hoping somebody could show me
> good methods for re-wrapping quoted text... especially with multiple/odd
> quoting schemes.
>
> Any takers?

Hmm. I thought the old "shift-V ... highlight text block ... gq" routine
did this fairly well. It does for me, at least, but I'm not sure in my
daily usage I've had to deal with any truly weird line-wrapping
situations. I can't say with any real certainty how robust this method
is. It's worth a try, at least. Next time you see a really funky e-mail
message, open it in vim and see if the "gq" trick works for you.

Paul