[PLUG] RedHat Enterprise Linux

D. Cooper Stevenson cstevens at gencom.us
Wed Feb 4 16:41:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 16:14, Travel Specilist A wrote:
> Hi, All:

Hiya!

> I believe there must be some people had asked this question
> before, but I can not find it from PLUG Archives.

Impressive!

> My question is: is it legal to copy or download RedHat Enterprise
> Linux like we did for Redhat Linux before?

Here's the scoop, accoding to this link:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/31/2004/01/1/125369

    "According to the RedHat Enterprise Linux ES 3.0 "End User Licesnse
Agreement" - everything within the RedHat disks are freely distributable
except the "RedHat" name and the "ShadowMan" and "RedHat" pictures... In
other words RedHat's branding.

I read the EULA, and the great thing here is the RedHat EULA goes so far
as to tell you which of the few RPM files need to be changed for the
entire thing to be distributable. For this reason, Whitebox is a great
way to get the software, without buying the "name"."

So as long as long as you steer clear of the "non GPL'd" RPM's and the
RedHat trademark, you may download to your heart's delight.

> If yes, do anybody know where to download it or anyone can make a copy
> for me?

It just so happens that someone has already removed the "non GPL"
components for you. See the link for download details but here's a quick
link:

  http://whiteboxlinux.org/download.html

I hope this helps!

> Thanks a lot!

You betcha!

Best,
| Cooper Stevenson        | Em:  cooper at gencom.us            |
| General Computer        | Ph:  541.924.9434                |
| "Open For Business"     | Www: http://www.gencom.us        |