[PLUG] rsync

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Feb 5 05:37:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Bill Spears wrote:

> Bingo!  Somehow I just got it in my head that there had to be a
> server client.  So when I read the man page that's what I hit on.
> Additionally, I was avoiding ssh because I had formed the impression
> that it was complicated to set up.  Boy, is my face red (oh wait,
> that's from drinking).  Getting ssh going was maybe the easiest
> thing I've ever done in linux.  So now everything works and I can
> see why everyone kept saying, "Use the ssh, Bill, use the ssh."

Hee hee, this is helpdesk nirvana:

bill> I'm stuck with rsync.

plug> Why not use it over ssh?

bill> Eh?

plug> You know ... ssh.

[Here follows a longish pause in the conversation.]

bill> I did a lot of reading, configured a bunch of software, and did
      a bunch of testing. It worked. Thanks for the help!

The customer does all the work, and still says thanks to the helpdesk.
Why would anyone ever want to send this sort of job overseas? :-)

-- Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>