[PLUG] OT: ssh passphrases (was Re: [PLUG] rsync)

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Feb 5 09:31:01 UTC 2004

>>>>> "gepr" == gepr  <gepr at tempusdictum.com> writes:

gepr> This brings up a question I've had for awhile.  I use a not
gepr> insignificant passphrase for my ssh identity.  Does this matter?
gepr> Am I wasting keystrokes?

I use no pass-phrase on my laptop.  It's all a matter of who you trust
to have access to that file.  My laptop is precious to me... so I
treat the whole thing as physical security issues.

But I have a passphrase on keys that are on shared machines.