[PLUG] Short talks for plug meeting

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Feb 6 11:20:02 UTC 2004

At the Thursday general PLUG meeting, Dave mentioned that he was
short on speakers for the next few months.  Perhaps, we can fill
the gap with a few evenings of multiple short talks rather than
single long ones.  For example, I have a number of short talks I
could give, strung out over a few months:

   1)  Using swap trays with Dirvish/Rsync backup
   2)  Cosmetic customization of KNOPPIX
   3)  Integrated circuit design tools for Linux
   4)  The  "Intellectual Property" metaphor
   5)  ... many more

These are not long talks, and I couldn't do them back to back (too
much preparation).  But 1/3 or 1/4 of a full presentation would
be easy, and if I was boring I could be easily hooked off the stage.

Most of us have a lot of little talks in us.  If we put together all
our "little tricks" we could probably fill 20 meetings with them.
A useful fill-in when we don't have something bigger to talk about.
To save wear and tear on Dave, he could assign "guest hosts" for
these nights, responsible for coordinating the sub-presentations.

We could also do some lightning talks - 5 minute rants.  Not open
mike, some preparation and practice should be required, but not
big slide and demo extravaganzas, either.  These would be good
fillins while projectors are prepared and files located.

Lastly, a "metapresentation" night would involve everyone bringing
their laptop and trying to pass a few slides through the PSU projector.
This would be helpful clearing the way for future presentations.
Those without laptops could try putting a few slides on a CD or
floppy or USB drive and trying them on someone else's laptop.
I can imagine most people would be out in the Smith lobby in small
groups fiddling with X config files and such, or tweaking on
presentation software.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993