[PLUG] Perfect timing! PDXcolo.net site problems FIXED

Erik Walthinsen omega at pdxcolo.net
Fri Feb 6 12:08:02 UTC 2004

[moderators: this message is also waiting in the queue, kill it]

With some of the most "perfect" timing I've ever seen, Nagios and MySQL
conspired last night to fill our webserver's disk with nearly 1.7GB of
logs, consisting of Nagios saying "Wheee! balin is up and pings in X
ms." and "Wheee! dwalin is up and pings in Y ms."  Logs were coming at a
rate of maybe 100 *per second*.

After shooting Nagios in the head, everything settled down.  Now we're
going to figure out what possessed MySQL to log every single query in
excruciating detail, and slap that down.

So.... if you couldn't get to our website over the last 16 hours, this
would be why.  None of our other machines, services, or customers were
affected, just our ability to *get* new customers <sigh>.

TTYAL,
     Omega
     aka Erik Walthinsen
     omega at pdxcolo.net