[PLUG] Re: Plethora of bounced emails

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Sat Feb 7 17:21:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 09:11, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 ryan at 1138.net wrote:
>
> > You're not alone.  http://spf.pobox.com/ is an example of a solution being
> > worked on to this sticky problem.  But SMTP is broken in this regard.
>
>   If I read the Web pages correctly, this SPF is designed for ISPs,
> particularly large ISPs. I suspect that there would be no benefit accruing
> to me with our two users here on our domain. Is this correct?

It would not hurt to add the SPF TXT record to your DNS even though
your SMTP server didn't support SPF. Other mail servers that do
support SPF would be able to determine whether e-mail messages with
your e-mail address were, in fact, from you. If the messages were spam,
they would know to block the servers sending the spam instead of
putting your e-mail address in their black lists.

Ed