[PLUG] OT (Hardware): Do pointy devices wear out?

Robert Munro ramunro at speakeasy.net
Sun Feb 8 13:33:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 18:36:26 -0800, Paul Johnson observed:

> On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 04:40:47PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> >   Could these devices just plumb wear out?
>
> Any mechanical device from your car's brakes to gun safeties to mice
> wear out.

Yes, including electro-mechanical devices.  I have an original Microsoft
Mouse from about 1990 that cost (my employer) nearly $100 then.  But it
had acquired the bad habit of emitting spurious clicks.  I just replaced
it with a generic PS/2 mouse labeled "Made in China", $5 at Fred Meyers.

Rich, you might find that a new optical trackball is rather inexpensive,
compared to your time and hassle for diagnosing and repairing the Orbit.

Regards,
Robert Munro