[PLUG] {Q} mimencode for RHL 8 system

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Feb 11 11:48:02 UTC 2004

I have some daily reports that I generate using shell scripts and though I
normally reject the HTML e-mail idea I found the reports were much easier
to read with a little HTML.  The issue comes when I use /bin/mail to send
it.  There is no way to set the content type so thought it comes through
nicely to the web based mail client Mozilla Mail (IMAP) show all the HTML
codes and does no formatting.

I looked and found a nice little (shell) script called mimesend, installed
it and then it puked when I tested it.  RHL 8 has no mimencode (a part of
metamail) and since it is a binary I hesitate to grab a copy off a RHL 7.3
system.  Further study makes me think this is not what I want anyway.

I'm looking for a command line method to send HTML encoded (so the MUA
recognizes them as HTML - Content-Type: text/html) messages.

Any suggestions?

Rod