[PLUG] Odd disk space error

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Feb 11 14:28:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Matt Alexander m-at-phxlinux.org |PDX Linux| wrote:

> Here's the output from df:

> /dev/hda2             3.9G  1.4G  2.3G  39% /
> none                   46M     0   46M   0% /dev/shm
>

> And then...
>
> # touch somefile
> touch: cannot touch `somefile': No space left on device
>

> Odd, no?  I even rebooted, but the problem remains...
> Any ideas what's going on?

The filesystem may have something corrupted on it and needs to be
"fsck"-ed.  Since it's your root filesystem it's a bit hard to unmount it
for a good check.  Find your distribution's "rescue" CD, boot from it, and
fsck /dev/hda2.

You could do this online (maybe) but you could miss problems or even
create more problems by doing so.

My guess is you'll find something big and ugly in /lost+found after you're
done.

  -- Steve