[PLUG] Re: Windows 2000 code leaked?

Scott Van Hoosen svanhoosen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 18:23:02 UTC 2004

Here is the text from the article:

<article>

Neowin has learned of shocking and potentially devastating news. It
would appear that two packages are circulating on the internet, one
being the source code to Windows 2000, and the other being the source
code to Windows NT. At this time, it is hard to establish whether or
not full code has leaked, and this will undoubtedly remain the
situation until an attempt is made to compile them. Microsoft are
currently unavailable for comment surrounding this leak so we have no
official response from them at the time of writing.

This leak is a shock not only to Neowin, but to the wider IT industry.
The ramifications of this leak are far reaching and devastating. This
reporter does not wish to be sensationalist, but the number of
industries and critical systems that are based around these
technologies that could be damaged by new exploits found in this source
code is something that doesn't bare thinking about.

We ask that for the wider benefit of the IT community that members and
readers support Microsoft by forwarding anything they know about the
leak to the Microsoft's Anti-Piracy department.

Please do not post any links/screenshots/hints or anything to do with
the source code outbreak. Discussion is allowed but we will not condone
people spreading this source code.

</article>

-Scott